25 May Know it all! – PGP in Film Making
The films that we watch and the dramas that we enjoy are mere puppets of the script that is written by the writers. Scripts are the puppeteer that works the artists and the actors. The emotions and the expressions that are transpired are the products of a story plotted down in words in a lineage and the creative imagination that the writer wants the world to be a part of or know of, collectively known as a script.
These scripts are written by people called writers. Do you need a degree to become a writer? No. But it is always better to have the resources to prepare for and build a career in Script & screenplay writing, with tailored professional guidance and training that will develop and hone your craft skills for the film and TV industries.
A writer uses his/her power of the common language of their audience, they conceptualize, analyse, write, and edit polished manuscripts, poems, articles, and other types of written content. In their role, they may work across genres and classes, from nonfiction to poetry, fiction to satire. In a business environment, writers may work as copywriters, technical writers, blog and feature writers, and as editors.
Even though there is no specific degree required to become a writer, it is still better to have a detailed study and understanding of the writing world to bring out the best in you and to hone the skills of a writer. If you wish to make writing your all-time profession, it is highly recommended to learn and earn a degree from a college that offers a Programme in writing and Film Making in order to be introduced to all the intricacies of the writing field.
One such institution that we know of that offers PGP in Film Making is Deviprasad Goenka Management College of Media Studies.
Post Graduate Programme in Film Making with Deviprasad Goenka Management College of Media studies, offers detailed learning on the minute concerns and topics of the Film Making Industry.
The various objectives that are covered under the PGP in Film Making are as follows:
- To help student-writers discover their own voice, free up their creativity, hone their intuition and impart to them the skills through which they can write their original as well as creative and imaginary stories.
- To make students learn screenwriting by actual hands-on writing, with active mentoring from faculty, combined with a study of the widest range of cinema and narrative literature, via intensive theory classes, workshops, and interaction with many senior and experienced writers and writer-directors.
- To offers other educational inputs from the field of culture and arts, especially from theatre, and from ancient narrative traditions like mythology and folk tales.
- To develop an understanding of collaboration between the cinematographer and director and explore the progression of technology and broad artistic trends throughout the history of filmmaking.
- To successfully complete a variety of short film projects, managing each project through the pre-production, production and post-production phases.
- To understand the importance of preparation and research and completion of work in a team.
The above were the objectives that would be offered while studying for the project. But what would be the outcomes of all the time invested studying this programme? Following are the outcomes of the PGP in Film Making.
- Students will be able to identify and describe key terms, concepts, major trends and periods related to various modes of production (narrative, documentary, experimental, and/or animation), film history, and theory.
- Students will be able to demonstrate skills necessary to effectively collaborate and communicate on video project productions including working in groups and engaging with peers and professors.
- Students will be able to demonstrate skills required to create quality media productions including skills in story development, producing, cinematography, editing, and audio production/post-production.
- Students will be able to demonstrate the ability to create a working production schedule that allows time for the iterative process to incorporate feedback and critical reflection.
Above are the presumable outcomes of taking the PGP in Film Making from DGMC if a student is wholeheartedly willing to be concentrated and focused on learning and understanding the course details and the industry of Film Making.
PGP in Film Making course highlights the following points:
- Intensive practical training
- Access to the film industry and the Cine Voyage Film Festival
- Develop soft skills (pitching, giving/receiving feedback)
- Dedicated personal mentors for Industry
- Capstone Project with Live Project
- Opportunity to pitch work to industry panels, and work with directors, Cinematographer, Scriptwriters and producers from the PGP in Filmmaking, Work with Directors, Cinematographer, Scriptwriters and Producers.
The baseline subjects that the PGP in Film Making offers are:
- Introduction to Film Making
- History of Cinema
- Sensor board and Copyrights
- Understanding Script & Screenplay
- The Art of Storyboarding
- Production & Art Design – Staging Scene
- Visual Language & Story Telling
- Sound Designing for Films
We shared with you the objectives, outcomes, highlights and the subjects offered in PGP in Film Making with DGMC. We would also like to reveal to you that we believe in giving you the maximum of individual attention, you will be part of a small cohort of a maximum of 15 students in each Specialization.
We hope all the information listed above would be helpful to you in pursuing your career in the field of writing. To know more click here